February 5, 2007 6:04 PM
Ok. I love my MacBook Pro (her name is Mallory, she’s pleased to meet you, too). She’s the best computer I’ve ever had. Maybe adjusted for inflation the Apple II+ or original Macintosh I had when I was growing up give her a run for her money, but we’re talking top echelon computer royalty here. She’s fast, she’s sleek, she does everything that I need her to do with enough left over that she keeps me looking out for solutions to problems that I don’t even know I have yet. And did I mention that she’s fast? I’ve even gotten over the silly “MacBook” branding.
This makes her handful of flaws that much more frustrating. She’s so close to perfection! A couple of weeks ago my power cord gave out. Apparently because the MagSafe design requires pins to be held together with no physical interlock, the plug has spring-loaded pins. And springs can fail leading to stuck pins and no power. This prompted me to do a mad dash at a backup before I ran out of power so I could bring her in to the Apple Store folks to get that and the host of minor annoyances taken care of.
So… How is she now after a complete working over (which by the way involved a complete wipe and reinstall so I’m really glad I got through that backup)?
- Annoying display smudge that was there from day one? Fixed!
- Annoying “processor whine?” Still whining away as strangely as ever.
- “Display whine” when not at 100% brightness? I didn’t used to have that, but I do now! (It’s really soft, though.)
- Airport reconnecting after sleep? So far so good!
- Strange Airport lockout after waking from sleep? Again, so far so good.
- Bent part of the case (manufacture defect, not from dropping her or something)? Only partly fixed, but good enough for me.
And last, but not least…
- Failure to go to sleep upon closing her lid after running fine for a few days? As of this evening, a big old not fixed!
Looks like Mallory’s going to be taking another trip down to the Apple Store…